Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Worldquake Sequence #2: The Chosen Ones by Scarlett Thomas

The Chosen Ones (Worldquake Sequence, #2)My name is Effie, and I truly want to know what I am. I know I'm a True Hero because I have the ring, but what else am I? Adventurer? Healer? Mage? I'm confused by some of my abilities, since they don't seem to fit together. Now, my father has taken my box of boons, and he won't give it back unless I give him a copy of The Chosen Ones. Most of them have been destroyed, since Albion Freake wants to have the only copy. It doesn't make sense to me, but Raven and I have figured out what he's up to. I can sense something is going to happen during this Friday's meteor shower, but what? And what's with the famous author following me around, trying to find out about my life? I need to get my boons back, so I can travel to the Otherworld. Hopefully, I'll find the answers I seek.

I suggest you read Dragon's Green first, since it sets the tone for the whole series. Effie spends much of her time in this book trying to "find herself". She has the True Hero ring, but there are two other unidentified descriptors. She thinks she'll be able to unlock all of her other abilities if she can fully understand herself. The plot mostly follows her adventures, not aware of a prophecy foretelling her death, with subplots involving other characters. Maximillian is pursuing new skills as a mage, Raven is protecting Effie and has close contact with the antagonist, and the antagonist has a master plan to become all-powerful and ruin everything. I like the teamwork of the characters, as they support each other and try to master their abilities. Prophecies are usually inflexible, but this book alters one after the events unfold. Other books leave wiggle-room for the interpretation of unclear prophecies, so alternative results are possible. Overall, I'm enjoying the series recommend you give it a shot. Again, start with the first book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.