Thursday, June 18, 2020

A Dragon's Guide to the Care and Feeding of Humans #1 by Laurence Yep and Joanne Ryder

A Dragon's Guide to the Care and Feeding of Humans (A Dragon's Guide, #1)My name is Ms. Drake, and the death of my pet human has brought me great sadness. She told her granddaughter, Winnie, about me, and she's going to take some getting used to. She sometimes talks like I'm her pet, so she's going to need some training. She has a bit of artistic talent, so I didn't see a big problem when Clipper gave her a sketchbook to keep her busy. I should have sensed the sketchbook's magic when I felt a tingle, but it wasn't until later that I discovered my oversight. Winnie was shocked when she saw blank pages where she had recently drawn twenty pictures of creatures she had seen. The creatures had become alive and fled the book! I knew a spell to return them to their pages, so I wasn't overly worried... until I discovered the truth about the last monster Winnie had drawn.

I read this book's sequel first, but it wasn't a problem. The best parts of the story evolved from the humorous interactions between Winnie and Ms. Drake. Ms. Drake was queen of the dragons and was used to being treated with respect and awe. Winnie missed the memo where she was supposed to be obedient and amazed, so fun ensued. Two things stuck in the back of my mind as I read. Winnie's father was trying to get custody of her, but that issue was put on the back burner. Also, Ms. Drake needed to create a pet name for Winnie, and it seemed to be top secret. She didn't tell Winnie about it, and there weren't any clear clues about why it was significant. Guess you'll need to read the sequel. Recapturing the creatures was the main conflict, and the hunt created more amusing situations and some action. The twentieth monster had the ability to wipe out magic, so its apprehension wasn't fun and games. Overall, the book was entertaining, funny, and adventurous, and I recommend you give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.