Monday, June 1, 2020

The League of Beastly Dreadfuls #1 by Holly Grant

The League of Beastly Dreadfuls (The League of Beastly Dreadfuls, #1)My name is Anastasia, and I've come to live with my great aunts in an old asylum for the criminally insane. It's a dreary place and hasn't been a pleasant experience. Each day, I get two bowls of lumpy mush to eat, do chores, and then I'm sent to bed before dark. I've done a little exploring around the huge, dusty building, and I've made a few discoveries. I've heard strange moaning sounds, seen perplexing pictures of missing children, and found a couple of hidden rooms. My aunties make me wear a creepy silver necklace, and they forced me into the bog to collect leeches. Things aren't adding up, so I've decided to investigate the mysteries I've found. I'm slowly starting to realize that I need to find some way out of here.

It's pretty clear right off that the "aunties" aren't related to Anastasia, but their motivations aren't discovered until later. They give evasive responses to Anastasia's questions, and all of their dialogue seems cryptic. Consequently, the story becomes a mystery, or sorts, as Anastasia explores the asylum. The story feels a bit zany with the characters and events that unfold, but Anastasia's efforts keep things "reasonable". There's clearly something different about her, but you don't get any details until the book nears its conclusion. I don't really understand the author's decision to add a character as the plot nears its climax. Anastasia was hours away from executing an escape plan when a guy shows up with completely different ideas. It would have made more sense if her plans had been flawed, and he'd shown up to save the day. It just seemed like a weird time to add a new character to a story. With that being said, I still enjoy the book overall. The uncertainty of the conflict creates tension, the characters provide humor, and Anastasia follows the adventure. I recommend you give it a shot, as I'll probably check out the sequel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.