Thursday, June 18, 2020

The Worst Witch #6: The Worst Witch to the Rescue by Jill Murphy

The Worst Witch to the Rescue (Worst Witch, #6)My name is Ethel, and I wish I had the imagination to come up with an amazing idea for our homework project. I have a reputation to uphold as the most outstanding student at Miss Cackle's Academy for Witches. Luckily, it was easy stealing Mildred Hubble's spell to let small animals speak. No one would have believed Mildred could come up with such a fantastic spell anyway. She's apparently good at modeling clay, and I was embarrassed when the art teacher compared Mildred's pot to mine. However, I fixed her good and got her kicked out of the class. I now know she has a talking tortoise that might be able to tell everyone what I've done. I'll need to take care of that problem too. 

I haven't read the first five books in the series, but that didn't affect my enjoyment of this one. Mildred is the main character, and Ethel is obviously the antagonist. I assume this relationship is a factor in all of the books. Mildred seems to have a poor reputation as a student, as there is talk of dismissing her from the academy. She has talent, so I'm curious to know how the misconception arose. Maybe I need to read the first book in the series, ha ha. The story feeds on images and reputations, but the essence of it stems from Mildred's goodness and compassion. She actually creates bigger problems for herself by trying to help Ethel. Mildred's friends remain loyal, although the evidence causes some skepticism. In the end, friends stand together, and Mildred is cleared of any wrongdoing. Will this result in an improved reputation? Overall, this book tells a fun story centered on an endearing protagonist. I recommend you give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.