Monday, July 1, 2019

The Luck Uglies #3: Rise of the Ragged Clover by Paul Durham

Rise of the Ragged Clover (The Luck Uglies, #3)My name is Rye, and the Fork-Tongue Charmers and Bog Noblins are making the woods more and more dangerous. Once rarely seen, the Bog Noblins are becoming especially bold, as they ravage villages during the night. I finally found my father, leader of the Luck Uglies, but someone else is challenging him to become chieftan. This divide may explain the growing boldness of the Bog Noblins and may lead to the destruction of Drowning. To complicate matters, the town orphans are stuck in the middle. My father is not as strong as he once was, and he needs my help. I've gathered some friends and come up with a daring plan. It may require the sacrifice of someone dear to me, and I'm not sure I'm willing to pay that price.

This book concludes the trilogy, and I recommend you read the first two installments. I hadn't read them in awhile and felt like I was missing some details. I couldn't always visualize the descriptions of creatures or characters, although there were brief descriptions at the end of the book. The Bog Noblins were the source of a physical conflict, but the unrest within the Luck Uglies was the more significant problem. It affected Rye's family and the safety of everyone in Drowning. Rye's role in everything was curious, as she bravely fought to help her friends, family, villagers, and orphans. On the other hand, she obediently took a back seat when her father told her too. That may sound strange, but young heroes in other books often take matters into their hands no matter what anyone else says. Rye usually found herself in a position to help anyhow, but it wasn't from disobedience or rebellion. Overall, I enjoyed the series but wish I'd read it straight through. I'm not sure why I didn't. Give it a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.