Sunday, July 28, 2019

The Wormling #1: The Book of the King by Jerry B. Jenkins and Chris Fabry

The Book of the King (The Wormling, #1)My name is Owen Reeder, and I've learned some strange things around my father's used book shop. I've wondered why he doesn't like me to read fantasy stories, and he's never been a warm, loving man. However, I've overheard him talking to people in hooded cloaks, in a room hidden below the floorboards. I accidentally discovered the room and barely managed to escape a giant guardian creature. Then, an old man appeared in the store and wanted to give me a large book. My father was very upset about that, and I couldn't understand why. I still don't fully get it, but my life has been turned upside down. A book, a dragon, a portal, oh my!

I randomly came upon this series while looking for a new eBook. This initial story slowly related Owen's destiny to fulfill a prophecy, but he wasn't endowed with amazing powers or abilities. Once the book was opened, it became a source of magic, with Owen acting as its keeper. Owen was able to make some things happen, but he didn't really know what he was doing. I like this more "realistic" approach to a character learning about new abilities. It bugs me a bit when a character quickly masters them without a learning curve. Owen was briefly joined by an annoying younger girl, and I assumed she'd become a sidekick. Some clues were dropped along the way, even though she disappeared from the story later in the book. She added spunk to the events! The author portrayed Owen as some kind of savior, but I'm still trying to figure out how he fits in. Is he a king's son? Does he have undiscovered powers? I've already started the sequel, The Sword of the Wormling, so we'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.