Monday, December 3, 2018

Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #3: Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs

Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #3)My name is Jacob, and I'm traveling through time to rescue peculiars captured by the wights. Addison is able to follow their scent, but I'm not thrilled about where it's led. Emma, Addison, and I now find ourselves in Devil's Acre, a dark, disturbing slum full of scoundrels ready to attack us. However, we've uncovered the reason behind the recent rash of peculiar disappearances, and it stems from Miss Peregrine's brothers. Caul has wicked dreams of a land full of souls from dead peculiars, but his brother Bentham is helping us stop him. Both of them have plans for me due to my growing ability to control Hollows. These deadly creatures are usually unstoppable and feared by all peculiars, but I've never controlled more than one of them. If I can't master my talent, the lives of all peculiars is doomed.

You really need to read the whole series in order, or you won't fully understand this conclusion. It's been several years since I read the previous books, and I wish they had been fresher in my mind. Old, black and white pictures of odd characters fill the pages, as seen above, and it's fun to see how the author works them into the story. Each peculiar has an unusual talent that makes them unique. Anna can create fire, Addison is a talking dog, and another character is invisible. A subplot deals with the budding relationship between Jacob and Anna. Anna once loved Jacob's grandfather (she doesn't age in her loop), but her heart now belongs to Jacob. It may sound weird, but it makes sense in the context of the book. I found Jacob's interaction with the Hollows intriguing, as his empathy for the deadly beasts was ironic. He had a strong connection to his first Hollow, and a form of trust seemed to grow. I kind of felt sorry for the creatures and wish they had come to better fates. Overall, this series is imaginative and deserves your attention. Give it a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.