Sunday, December 30, 2018

Wereworld #2: Rage of Lions by Curtis Jobling

Rage of Lions (Wereworld, #2)My name is Whitley, and Drew and I are searching for Lady Gretchen. She was taken by the Werelion Prince Lucas, and I've managed to pick up their trail. However, I've been injured by an undead creature which means someone is practicing dark magic. Drew has been captured by the Werelion's supporters, and I don't know what's happened to him. He's been reluctant to accept his destiny to become king and doesn't understand how much the citizens need him. King Leopold has been trapped in his castle for two months, but something tells me the evil monarch hasn't given up. Is it possible he's hatching a plan to take back his crown? I don't know who would help this tyrant, but support for Drew hasn't been overwhelming. It feels like something huge is about to happen.

You should read Rise of the Wolf before reading this book. I must give you fair warning that the series contains explicit violence. The wereanimals don't fight cleanly, especially when their lives are at stake. I've been a little surprised by how fragile the cast of characters has become. I can usually sense when new/minor characters might become more important in the future, but several prominent characters don't survive this book. There are numerous battles between supporters of Drew and Leopold, but there is in-fighting too. Some characters can't be trusted, but their traitorous behavior isn't always foreseeable. Hector has been a good friend to Drew, so I haven't liked the changes he's been experiencing. He'll be a character to watch in the future. Overall, I've enjoyed the first two books in the Wereworld series, although I could do without some of the graphic violence. I like Drew's story as he tries to understand his new life, and I'm anxious to see something positive happen in the third book. If my comments haven't scared you off, give the series a try. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.