Sunday, December 16, 2018

Adventurers Wanted #1: Slathbog's Gold by M.L. Forman

Slathbog's Gold (Adventurers Wanted, #1)My name is Alex, and my head is spinning. I quickly became the eighth member of a team on a quest to kill a dragon called Slathbog. I don't understand half of what the others are telling me, and I think the shopkeeper made a mistake when he said I have wizard abilities. My brain is still finding it hard to believe in magic, but some recent events have changed my mind. I thought I was lucky to survive a troll attack, but now I'm not so sure. An oracle believes in my potential, but she says I must stop doubting myself. Can I possibly become a powerful wizard? Can I become a fierce warrior too? It's hard to believe I'm now in the middle of my first adventure, and the others seem to be glad that I'm here. I don't think there's nothing special about me, but what if I'm wrong?

As you read this book, you should remember what the characters say. Once you believe magic is real, everything else is easy. The same goes for  the rules for Adventurers; don't try to figure them out. Don't question how Alex can stow his belongings in a four-room storage bag or how the Adventurers decide to divy up the treasures they collect. Many novels allow young characters to discover their powers in a big way. Alex's biggest accomplishment for the first half of the book is starting and dousing fire. Bigger questions surround his elfin sword and the ring he collects. The ring is magical, but Alex is warned not to use it until he knows more. Actually, Alex is much more cautious than most characters with his emerging powers, as he  understands the horrible, possible consequences from uncontrolled magic. I'm most impressed by the code of conduct displayed by all of the Adventurers. Their behavior exhibits dignity toward each other and creatures they meet, and it's important to honor the memories of the deceased. These qualities are in the forefront throughout the entire book. Overall, Slathbog's Gold is the start of a series, and I'm excited to get my hands on the sequel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.