Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Fairy Tale Reform School #1: Flunked by Jen Calonita

Flunked (Fairy Tale Reform School, #1)My name is Gilly, and I need to be home with my family, not here at the FTRS. I look around at the teachers and other students, and I'm not so sure anybody's getting reformed in a positive way. I mean, the Evil Stepmother is running the place, and her wicked daughter is the biggest bully in the school. Something fishy is going on. The surrounding forest is dangerous and off-limits, so why would a teacher enter it? The gargoyle statues creep me out, and I could swear one of them was watching me! Miri the magic mirror is always spying, so it's hard to sneak around the hallways and rooms. However, I think I can get out of the FTRS immediately if I can find dirt on the evil stepmother, so I've got to keep snooping around. Little did I know the trouble I'd find.

It took me awhile to realize I'd already read the third book in the series earlier this year! I enjoy Gilly's sassy attitude and her compassion for others. She's in reform school for trying to help feed her family, and she lied to the teachers to protect her new friends. Kayla becomes her roommate, but I was surprised when the girl disappeared for most of the plot. Jax is Gilly's closest ally, but he's keeping a huge secret that isn't revealed until later in the story. The plot reads as a mystery, as Gilly searches for a scandal that will allow her to get early release from reform school. All of the adult characters come from familiar fairy tales, but the students are unknown variables. Which ones are good, and which ones are part of the problem? The book teaches a nice lesson on honesty, as Gilly slowly learns that stealing may not be the best way to solve her problems. This is ironic, since Kayla and Jax are first drawn to her ability to lie and her sneakiness. Overall, the series shares a fun adventure of conspiracy and magic, and I think most younger readers will enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.