Thursday, February 15, 2018

The Nightshade Chronicles #3: Lords of Trillium by Hilary Wagner

Lords of Trillium (Nightshade Chronicles, #3)My name is Billycan, and I've changed since the effects of lab experiments have slowly weakened. Other creatures should still fear me, since I've killed more rats than I can count. However, I don't like the old me, and the Tuscans have told me about the terror of a former major. I've returned to Nightshade to stop her from destroying the peaceful city and murdering my brother and son. However, something else is happening too. I still have nightmares from my time in the Trillium labs, and it seems events are leading me back there. I've learned the scientists wanted my race of rats due to the effects of living above an extinct volcano. They did unspeakable experiments on us that caused the vicious killings in my past. Memories of the lab incense me, but its secrets may lie below the old library.

I recommend you read the previous books in the series, especially book one, to fully appreciate the transformation of Billycan's character. Seldom do you see a terrifying evil character become a major protagonist. Most of the minor characters found this hard to believe, although Billycan's brother, son, and niece were more supportive. The uncertainty behind his change added suspense to the story, since it was unclear if he might revert back to his violent past. The author does a nice job of describing Billycan's inner turmoil, as battles memories and urges of violence. The issue of experimenting on animals in lab research is a central theme, but it's told from the lab rats' points of view. The scientists are trying to discover a way to reverse human aging, but the side effects of the serum are devastating. This book especially reminds me of Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, since the plot leads to a face-off between the human scientists and the lab animals. I'm not sure where the sequel will lead. The end of this book is rather cryptic with three unidentified lab rats heading out into the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.