Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Father of Lies Chronicles #1: Arthur Quinn and the World Serpent by Alan Early

Arthur Quinn and the World Serpent (Father of Lies Chronicles, #1)My name is Arthur, not Artie, and I've been having some really strange dreams lately about a giant snake, underground caverns, and strange writing. After our class field trip to the new Metro tunnel, it's clear something magical is going on. I found a bronze amulet, and a strange green light narrowly saved Ash, Will, and I from drowning. The amulet also translated some Viking runes saying something about the Jormungand rising to destroy the world. I know Odin imprisoned and tortured Loki for eternity, but digging the huge tunnel for the Metro may have disastrous results. It's awakening the giant serpent, and I'm pretty certain Loki has escaped. No adults will believe anything I might say, so it's up to Ash, Will, and I to save all humankind.

The World Serpent is very similar to Rick Riordan's Magnus Chase novels, but it's easier to read. The plot doesn't get complicated, but that doesn't mean the author doesn't include some surprises. An antagonist is disguised from the main characters, although plenty of clues are presented early in the story allowing readers to expect his treachery. Loki manipulated events to get Arthur's father in charge of the digging project, but beyond that Arthur is a random hero. Knowing a little bit about Norse mythology, a couple of things confused me. Arthur didn't gain any super powers other than understanding the Norse runes, so his ability to battle Loki was unexpected. Also, he gained possession of a heavy hammer, but Thor's hammer is the only one I know from mythology. However, Thor was the only one who could lift it. Details of Arthur's weapon were lacking, so it left me to wonder about its origin. Overall, I enjoyed this book, and I've already started reading the sequel, Arthur Quinn and the Fenris Wolf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.