Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Spirit Hunters by Ellen Oh

Spirit HuntersMy name is Harper, and I hate that we've moved to Washington D.C. My bedroom is stifling hot, but my four-year-old brother Michael's room is eerily cold. I've noticed he's been talking to himself recently, although he says he's talking to his "best friend" Billy. It's making me feel uneasy. I thought I felt hands in my back before falling down the stairs, and Michael's fire truck struck my face, requiring me to get twenty-five stitches. If Michael's not yelling at me, he's staring into space with blank eyes. I've lost part of my memory from before the move, and I think it's important to what's happening now. I was sent to a mental hospital after setting a fire at school, but I don't know why I did that. I now believe my brother's change in behavior is because of a dangerous spirit haunting this house. Then, an old friend reappeared, and I learned there are more dangers in this house than I ever imagined.

This book is a finalist for the 2017 Cybils Book Award in Elementary/Middle Grade Speculative Fiction. It's a throwback to traditional ghost stories, and the author did a great job of creating a spooky atmosphere. There were the traditional creepy sounds, whispering voices, cold rooms, and glimpses of hazy images. The added twist of Harper's memory loss left additional possibilities open to the imagination. Harper was a typical seventh grader, except for having been sent to an asylum and having an unusual aptitude for sensing ghosts. Given the evidence, I was a little surprised at how long it took her to accept the fact there were spirits haunting the house. Also, she felt like nobody would believe her even though her friend was the first person to say Harper was actually living in a haunted house. She was still reluctant to tell her friend about Rose later in the plot. Harper was frightened by the house and didn't know what to do, but she was determined to stop the spirits. The book was very engaging and exciting, and I found myself reluctant to put it down as I neared the climax. The description during the climax itself will be pretty intense for younger readers. Overall, it was a very entertaining book and is worthy of a best book nomination.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.