Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Angel Experiment by James Patterson

This book is the first in a series, Maximum Ride, and I gave it a rating of four out of five. Maximum Ride is the name of the main character, and she is the leader of a family of mutant children. All six of them were genetically altered to grow wings, and they're able to fly. A man named Jeb helped them escape from the "School", the lab where they were created. However, now the scientists want the youngest of them, Angel, back at the lab. They are hunted down by Erasers, creatures that are part human and part werewolf. As the adventure progresses, Max keeps hearing a voice saying that she needs to save the world.

I enjoyed the idea of the plot and conflict, but I didn't like the "side trips". It seemed as though things kept popping up that distracted me from the actual conflict. The extra events usually involved the characters fighting off an army of Erasers. Actually, the main conflict is still a little fuzzy for me, so the climax didn't really seem to resolve any kind of a problem. It just brought up more questions. I plan to try the sequel, but it will need to have a clearer conflict if I'm going to finish it.

3 comments:

  1. I might try reading it some time,it sounds pretty good.But can you tell me more about it?



    P.S. I'm a blendon student... :)

    But really please tell me more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And do you think I will be able to read it? You said that the reading level has to be 5.0 or above,for 6th grade,I'm in 6th grade,but yea the reading level is like 4.6 I think so can I still read it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know a number of current 8th graders loved the book. One of my BOB kids from 6th grade said it was the best book ever. I wouldn't go that far, but I enjoyed it. I think the "side trips" I mentioned were usually action scenes, so that's not all bad. I think the reading level is probably higher than AR says, so don't worry about that.

    ReplyDelete

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.