Monday, June 7, 2021

Nightmare Academy #3: Monster War by Dean Lorey

My name is Charlie, and I must do something about the monsters invading earth even though I've been exiled from the Nightmare Academy. No one else has a chance of defeating the Fifth, but it may be beyond my abilities too. I'm the only Double-Threat fighting against her right now, since Pinch turned his back on humans. The Headmaster says my only hope of defeating the Fifth is to retrieve the Sword of Sacrifice from the Smith in the Netherforge. This weapon can kill any nether creature, but we don't know the sacrifices required to get it. The Director is determined to Reduce my friends and me, but no one will believe the truth about what he did to the Guardian. My only hope of saving all humanity is to retrieve the Sword of Sacrifice.

You should read the previous two books first, since this one concludes the trilogy. Theodore was Charlie's best friend, and he added an element of levity and humor to the plot. His boasting masked his fear and insecurity, but he always stepped up when he was most needed. Despite his presence, this book had a more serious tone to it, as people were dying to a formidable army of monsters. Main characters experienced dramatic sacrifices in order for Charlie to receive the magic sword. Theodore had an ongoing conflict with his father, the General, as his father didn't provide him with any love or support. Living up to parent expectations can be a huge problem. The plot jumped around quite a bit, since Theordore and Charlie could open portals to almost anywhere in the world or the Nether. It could have been confusing, but it all made sense. My biggest issue was with the trilogy's conclusion. Yes, the conflict was pretty much lessened, but it wasn't resolved. The author admitted this at the end and said there was more story to tell. However, this was written in 2010, and I haven't found a continuation of the plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.