Monday, June 14, 2021

Psi Chronicles #3: True Son by Lana Krumwiede

My name is Taemon, and there must be a way to bring peace between Deliverance and the Republik. I thought removing psi from Deliverance would help, but General Sarin of the Republik fears we'll ally with the nation of Nau against them. The people of Deliverance have no weapons, and I'm the only one left with psi. I will use it according to guidance from the Heart of the Earth, but I won't use it to kill any humans. The Republik sees us as traitors, and Gevri is especially angry with me. He blindly follows his father's orders and will use his dominion to attack others. The conflict between our nations began when the prophet Nathan created Deliverance. However, the Republikites don't understand that his actions actually saved their nation. My hope is the Heart of the Earth and the truth can unite us once again. 


Once again, for some reason, I waited eight years to read the conclusion to this trilogy. Geesh, I hate when I do that! The plot pits an ultimate conflict between a nation of pacifists against a military invasion. Taemon has the internal conflict of knowing he can use psi to end the hostilities, but he won't use it to harm others. The problem becomes more complicated, since the people of Deliverance pressure him to use his abilities to protect them. In contrast, the Republik sees Taemon as a dangerous threat and doesn't believe his words of peace. Taemon has an additional conflict with the general's son that boils down to a feeling of betrayal. The son wants his father's approval but begins to question his father's motives and strategies. Taemon travels into the forest to commune with the Heart of the Earth. He hears the voice in his head but begins to wonder if it truly exists. Has Taemon been following the guidance from his own ideas? Although my specific memories are fuzzy, my past posts seem to show I enjoyed the previous two books a little more than this one. However, the series comes to an entertaining and satisfying conclusion, and I recommend you give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.