Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Spy School #8: Spy School Revolution by Stuart Gibbs

My name is Ben, and everyone thinks Erica, the best spy in school, tried to blow me up at the CIA. Of course, I know that isn't true, since I'm still alive. I managed to meet with her, and she said some secret, evil organization forced her to attack me. I'm about the only one who believes she's not a traitor, and I'm going to help her in thwarting this organization's plans. That will be a challenge seeing as this group's been behind many of our country's most well-known conspiracies, including assassination attempts and the stock market crash. I thought telling my parents about my secret life as a teenage spy would complicate things, but my dad actually thinks it's pretty cool and exciting. My mom and he are looking forward to going into witness protection. Hopefully, I won't get myself killed or arrested for helping Erica.

I somehow skipped reading the previous book, but it didn't affect appreciating this one. The author blended adventure with humor to create an entertaining spy story. The book opened with Ben's parents discovering he hadn't been attending a private science school for the past couple of years and then jumped to everyone surviving a missile attack. Ben was the brains of the series, as he always managed to solve the various problems. This was balanced with his very average abilities in all other areas of spying. In addition to stopping the evil plans of a secret organization, the characters are informed of double agents lurking within the CIA. Consequently, all new characters should be treated with suspicion, since any of them could be working with the bad guys. Erica does all of her super spy things again, but she reveals a surprising secret, considering this is the eighth book in the series. It will be interesting to see how this twist develops in the future. The format of all the books is the same, so you need to enjoy young CIA spies going on unusual missions. The plot includes light-hearted moments that you'll find amusing. Give it a shot if this sounds like it's up your alley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.