Thursday, March 25, 2021

Valkyrie #1 by Kate O'Hearn

My name is Freya, and the first warrior I reaped to Valhalla has me questioning what it means to be a Valkyrie. I haven't seen many humans worth celebrating, but I still made a promise to check on the man's family. Odin forbids any of us from traveling to Midgard without his permission, but keeping promises is important to me. The man could not have known his wife would also die, leaving Tamika and her baby sister without a parent, or that developers would use violent measures to acquire his house. The biggest thing I didn't expect was meeting Archie. He has become a brave warrior since being bullied by JP, and I'm starting to care about this human. However, I'm now realizing how much things are getting out of control. It's only a matter of time before I feel Odin's wrath.

This book presented a different point of view about how deceased warriors were celebrated in Valhalla. Freya's first warrior didn't like fighting and only cared about his family. This attitude differed from her feelings that humans were violent and only cared about themselves. I always enjoy stories where non-human characters make observations about our humanity. They make you think. The most enjoyable part of the plot was Freya's relationship with Archie, although JP was crazy and way out of control for a middle grade bully. Archie had an absentee, alcoholic mother and lived alone in their apartment. He showed how some people are still able to have good attitudes and be successful despite their troubling situations. Readers should be able to empathize with his character. Concerns for Tamika and Archie were the main focus of the plot, but the threat of Odin and his anger were always a danger. Freya knew she'd lose her wings, but her actions also put her sister and others in danger. It was clear the countdown to the climax was centered on the moment Odin learned the truth. I've read a number of books based on Norse mythology, but I don't recall any that featured the Valkyries. I enjoyed this book very much and recommend you give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.