Sunday, March 28, 2021

The Unwanteds Quests #6: Dragon Slayers by Lisa McMann

I am the Revinir, and my plans to rule the Seven Islands and get my revenge against the Stowes is almost complete. The only thing left is for Thisbe Stowe to join me in ruling the lands. I can't get all of the dragons and citizens to willfully obey me without her help. Of course, she's making demands before she'll agree to my terms, but that's just what I'd expect from a girl who's mostly evil. I suppose I'll eventually agree to her demands, since I'll just throw her in the dungeons after our partnership is announced. However, I don't fully trust her. I can't understand what she's thinking like I can with everyone else in Grimere, and she's tricked me before. I've been watching her carefully, and I've tried to detect any lies she might be telling. I feel confident I can trust her this time, and I'll soon have all the power I've ever wanted.


You need to read the series from the beginning, and you might even want to go back and read the previous series, The Unwanteds, too. This book was the easiest to follow, since it focused solely on the battle with the Revinir. It included a select group of characters, whereas most of the earlier books included casts of dozens. Thisbe took the greatest risk and evoked the greatest emotions. Trying to fool the Revinir was almost an impossible task, and there was no magic or weapon that could hurt her. Thisbe had a devastating secret weapon, and it seemed clear she'd eventually use it at the climax of the plot. However, would the weapon even work on the Revinir? Would the Revinir figure out Thisbe's deceit before Thisbe had a chance to do something? Would Thisbe's feelings of empathy create a change in plans? These questions created increasing suspense as D-Day grew nearer and kept the story engaging. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and recommend you give the series a shot. I'm assuming this book's sequel will bring the series to an end, as all of the pieces seem to be falling into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.