Monday, March 22, 2021

The Unwanteds Quests #5: Dragon Fire by Lisa McMann

My name is Simber, and I'm torn inside. As a giant winged cheetah, I've pledged to support the head mage of Artime. However, Aaron gave the position to Frieda Stubbs, and she's a despicable person. She's doing all she can to tear the citizens apart, and she's determined to kill all of the Stowes. I hate that Aaron's put me in this position. However, I told Frieda that I will not harm Aaron, Thisbe, or Fifer, so I know she doesn't trust me anymore. Most of the remaining citizens support her, while most of her opponents have left the city. Due to my pledge, I can't help anyone fighting against Frieda, so can she ever be stopped? I wish I could talk to my best friend Florence, but she rightfully doesn't trust me either. And with the Revinir ready to start a war with Artime, will peace ever return to the island?


You should read the series from the beginning. It's been difficult reading the series as it's being written, since I must wait a year or two before getting my hands on the sequels. This makes it more confusing, as the books have so many characters to remember. The cast is a mixture of humans, dragons, and other creatures with various backstories. The nice thing in this book is that most of the plot takes place in Artime. The main characters display great determination, ingenuity, and teamwork to overcome overwhelming odds. The biggest conflicts involve Frieda Stubbs's divisive leadership in Aritme, and the Revinir's mysterious movements from afar. As I've said in other posts, Frieda's behavior reminds me of political leaders using lies, fear, and "patriotism" to justify their violent strategies and rhetoric. Her supporters greatly outnumber the protagonists, but the negativity of her style creates a fragile position. The twins, Thisbe and Fifer, continue their personal conflict, but it seems out of character that they've gone so long without any feelings talk. It eventually comes to an end. Overall, I enjoyed this book more than some others in the series, since the plot seemed more focused. I assume the sequel will target the Revinir and her brain-washed dragons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.