Monday, March 30, 2020

The Dwarven Nations Trilogy #2: Hammer and Axe by Dan Parkinson

Hammer and Axe (Dragonlance: Dwarven Nations, #2)My name is Damon, and I've volunteered to investigate the rumor of humans, including wizards, trespassing on the dwarven lands of Kal-Thax. Something mysterious emerged from a strange fog and has destroyed three villages, and magic may be behind it. I ventured to the top of Steepcliff where I found three wizards preparing to build some kind of structure. They tried to cast spells at me, but my hammer crushed the head of the first. The third one was curious about how I was able to withstand his magic, and I must admit it stung a little. However, he seemed to think his spells were real. I decided to keep this wizard to study his magic, as it may be helpful against the growing army of humans. I'm sure the wizards in charge will resort to trickery, and I plan to be prepared.

This book could be read alone, since it took place about ninety years after the first one. I might actually recommend you skip the first book due to its meandering story.  Dwarves lived for hundreds of years, and Damon was a newborn in the last book. The plot in the second book was more focused, so it was easier to follow. Once again, the land of the dwarves was being invaded, but the wizards and their magic presented a new threat. However, the dwarves' response to the spells presented a new challenge for the wizards. It also added a bit of humor to the story. The whole conflict centered on the humans' invasion into Kal-Thax, and the dwarves' efforts to defend themselves. There was another serious issue with a dragon, but it was forgotten for large periods of time. It wasn't really needed in this story and could have been the center of another book. Dwarves were the focus of the story with humans being the minor characters and antagonists. Be forewarned that there were many unusual dwarf names to remember. Overall, this series has been entertaining, the second book more than the first, and I recommend lovers of dwarves give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.