Sunday, March 22, 2020

The Adventurers Guild #2: Twilight of the Elves by Zack Loran Clark and Nick Eliopulos

Twilight of the Elves (The Adventurers Guild #2)My name is Zed, and there is unrest within the walls of Freestone. Our elven neighbors have been forced to flee their homes, and many citizens of Freestone resent the presence of these refugees. The elven queen has asked the Adventurer's Guild for help, and they think my green flame may be the only way to destroy the dark magic haunting Llethanyl. However, Freestone's king has denied the queen's request, so our mission must remain secret. I'm still learning to use my magic, and hopefully I won't need it to hold off the Dangers we'll encounter in the forest. My father was an elf from Llethanyl, but I don't know anything about him. I was hoping the High Ranger of the elves would share some information, but I wasn't prepared for the truth. 

I recommend you first read The Adventurers Guild #1 in order to fully understand the background story of the series. Zed was the main character, although alternate chapters followed his best friend Brock. Their friendship became strained, as they were both hiding secrets. A large focus of this book involved Zed trying to discover more about his past. The fact that he never knew his father may resonate with readers from divorced or adopted families. I enjoyed Zed's vulnerability and uncertainty, as he learned new information about his father. However, Zed agreed to a secret pact that came back to bite him in the butt. Luckily, it turned out a couple of friends were more than they seemed, and their abilities were needed during the plot's climax. The interaction of the characters was the most enjoyable part of the book. It included playful bantering, strained relationships, compassion, and teamwork as the Adventurers worked together. An old/new character joined the cast in the later pages of the book. The plot again included mystery, as the Dangers presented some hard-to-explain problems. Overall, I'm enjoying the series and have already started reading the third book Night of Dangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.