Sunday, February 2, 2020

The Monster Hypothesis by Romily Bernard

The Monster HypothesisMy name is Kick, and science is not something other kids in Bohring like. It's hard being the new kid wearing overalls, but I took a hint from Grandma Missouri. I got the kids to believe I'm a psychic, just like Grandma. I think it's silly people believe a crazy curse has returned that says kids will become monsters every hundred years. However, I can't explain the strange odor I smelled in the forest, the glowing shapes I saw, or the growling I heard. Plus, there's the disappearance of the two boys I saw running from the green lights. The sheriff is leading searches for them, and the mayor says he'll take care of everything. I know living in the Hollows surrounded by swamps adds to the mystery, but I still believe there must be some logical explanation. I'm a scientist, and I'll treat this like an experiment to find the answers. 

I randomly chose this book from my library's new-book shelf. It's one of those books that keeps you wondering if the events are due to natural causes or magic. That's the question Kick researches throughout the plot. She doesn't believe in magic and curses, so she tries to disprove them using the scientific method. She develops hypotheses and figures out ways to test them. Lovers of scientific knowledge will be able to identify with her. Ironically, Kick pretends to have psychic visions when it suits her purposes. How else are you supposed to announce your findings without incriminating yourself. Kick's grandmother believes her own fake psychic readings serve a purpose for the community, and her steady business confirms that. The alligator living under the house adds an amusing twist, while three dress-alike girls are minor antagonists. The absence of Kick's parents creates a conflict for her character. This book tells a cute story of a young girl feeling out of place in the bayou. It reads like a mystery, as Kick tries to figure out the truth behind the town curse. Overall, I enjoyed the book and think it will appeal to the right audience. I'm not certain, but it might become a series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.