Friday, February 28, 2020

The Adventurers Guild #1 by Zack Loran Clark and Nick Eliopulos

The Adventurers Guild (The Adventurers Guild #1)My name is Zed, and I always wanted to join the Mages Guild. I was briefly destined to be trained as a sorcerer, until the Adventurers Guild claimed me. They're a mysterious guild, led by the fearsome Alabasel Frond, and they're tasked with defending Freestone from the Dangers outside the city's walls. Holding off the monsters and beasts is dangerous and risky, but it's become more challenging as the wards slowly weaken. A Naga pierced a hole in them, nearly killed Brock, and crippled my dwarf-friend Jett. Somehow, I unleashed a spell on it, but I unknowingly drew upon dark magic. Being half elf, many people are already leery of me. Am I destined to destroy Freestone, or can I find some way to master my powers and save the city? 

The most enjoyable aspect of this book was the interaction of the characters. Zed's heritage created complications for him, but it was also a source of his abilities. He ended up striking a deal with someone that will surely come back to haunt him. Brock was his closest friend and jumped to his defense when needed. However, he also had a secret regarding the Adventurers Guild that created issues as the story moved along. I was surprised that Jett was a best friend but didn't have a big role in the plot. I assume/hope he'll me more involved in any sequels. Liza was probably the most interesting character. She came from noble birth and volunteered to join the adventurers; that was unheard of. She was competitive and had already mastered many warrior skills. Brock especially had problems accepting her, and of course the author threw them all together to form a team. The main conflict in the plot revolved around the Dangers and the weakening wards designed to protect the city. Who and what caused the hole in the wards? Could it be stopped? The Dangers themselves came in varying shapes, sizes, and abilities, but the humanoid beasts signaled a significant change in the problem. Overall, I recommend you give this book a shot, as I've already started the sequel, Twilight of the Elves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.