Monday, February 24, 2020

Momataro #1: Xander and the Lost Island of Monsters by Margaret Dilloway

Xander and the Lost Island of Monsters (Momotaro, #1)My name is Xander, and I must rescue my father and save the world. I discovered the children's story about Momotaro and the giant peach is true, and I'm next in line to protect the world from demons. I have no special training, but my grandfather's ghost tells me to read the comic book and says I already have the abilities I need. How are my brain and art supposed to stop the evil creatures? Physical activities aren't my thing, I only ran one lap during our middle school fundraiser, so I'm glad my best friend volunteered to come on the quest. The book says I'll have two more companions; my dog is one, and a monkey girl is the other. Even with their help, where am I supposed to go? What will I do when I get there?

I randomly found this book at my local library. I remember reading the folktale in my school textbook back when I was teaching, so it was fun to get reacquainted. You don't need to have read it, since it's retold within the story. Past Momotaro's had unique talents, and Xander's abilities were unknown. It was fun trying to predict them, since I was sure there was something making him special. He had supposedly drawn the comic book about Momotaro but didn't remember doing it. His grandfather's spirit appeared at times to lend vague advice that Xander didn't usually find helpful. Rest assured, Xander's power is eventually discovered in time to save the day. The monkey girl was an intriguing addition to the cast. While she was often helpful, her past and motivations were mysteries. She was very uncomfortable accepting any positive comments from Xander which piqued my curiosity. The first pages of the book were interesting, but I must admit it seemed to take too long getting to the meat of the plot. Once there, it shared a magical adventure through a real/fantasy world. Overall, I enjoyed the book and recommend you give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.