Friday, April 19, 2019

Elementals #1: Ice Wolves by Amie Kaufman

Ice Wolves (Elementals, #1)My name is Anders, and I must find some way to save my sister Rayna. We had no idea she'd transform into a scorch dragon during the Trial, and now her life is in danger. The ice wolves have always protected our city from the dragons, and then I watched other scorch dragons chase Rayna across the sky. More surprising, I grabbed the Staff of Hadda myself and transformed into an ice wolf! It's impossible for a dragon and a wolf to transform from the same family. Or is it? The Wolf Guard must have artifacts that can locate the scorch dragons, but I've discovered things are not adding up at the academy. My friend Lisabet has been helping me, and she doesn't understand why the dragons and wolves hate each other and why many of the artifacts are breaking. I know it's treasonous, but I need to escape the academy and find Rayna.

The concept of siblings belonging to opposing forces isn't new, but the ice wolves are unique. Somehow, they're able to use water from the environment to create ice spears for battle. The story focuses on Anders, as he adjusts to the academy while plotting to help his sister. He's learning about his abilities as an ice wolf and finds his development well behind the other students. Most of the wolves say it's not possible for his sister to be a scorch dragon, but a few others talk of unusual powers. Bet you can't guess which of these is revealed later. Lisabet is the first student Anders meets and grows to become his best friend. However, she knows Anders isn't fully truthful with her, and she's keeping a huge secret herself. As a result, the two characters become loyal friends while leaving the door open for unexpected surprises. Overall, I enjoyed this book and have already started reading the sequel, Scorch Dragons. You'll like the book too if you enjoy adventure, humans morphing into animals, and armies on the brink of war. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.