Thursday, April 11, 2019

Magisterium #5: The Golden Tower by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare

The Golden Tower (Magisterium, #5)My name is Aaron, and I now "live" inside Call's mind. Most of the students at the Magisterium think he's evil and dangerous, but he still has a very small group of friends, including Jasper. I don't understand that. I wish Call would share his feelings with Tamara; I'm getting tired of telling him what to say to her. He's back at school now, but he doesn't have much time for classes. We don't know how, but a Devoured of chaos has returned even though we all watched him die. He's bringing powerful monsters and dark magic to destroy Call and the Magisterium. I've found memories locked away in Call's mind, but I'm not sure it's safe to free them. These memories may open new powers to help Call defeat the Devoured ones, or they could overwhelm him and lead to his death. 

I've had to wait months between books as they're written, but you have the advantage of reading the completed set, starting with The Iron Trials. I still see similarities between this series and the Harry Potter books. We have a school for young mages, a main character with a past connection to evil, and a secret group worshipping the potential rise of a wicked magical power. The close bond between Call, Tamara, and Aaron highlights the book. The presence of Aaron's spirit in Call's mind offers moments of levity and allows Call to have an internal counterbalance. Call also struggles to admit his feelings for Tamara even though she clearly has feelings for him. The trio stands strong together despite the challenges. It feels like this book ends the series, but there are a couple things left unresolved. I hate that. The memories locked in Call's brain offer another level of conflict, since they have the potential to overwhelm his consciousness. However, I don't feel this issue was effectively settled and remains an unanswered question. Overall, I've enjoyed the series as it blends adventure, magic, and friendship. I recommend you give it a shot, starting from the beginning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.