Monday, April 1, 2019

Goblins in the Castle #2: Goblins on the Prowl by Bruce Coville

Goblins on the ProwlMy name is Fauna, and William and I accidentally released the stone toad under the castle. To make matters worse, it carried William away in its jaws! I've also learned a powerful wizard named Helagon has returned and wants to get his hands on something called the Black Stone. A strange team of friends has joined me, and we must figure out where the toad has taken William. I don't know how it's connected to Helagon, but rescuing William is our first priority. We must avoid the dangers found across the lands and young goblin mischiefs wearing red headbands. Goblins are naturally mischievous, but these rogues have run away from their parents and are being recruited by a mystery person. I fear I may be forced to reveal a great secret to my friends, but maybe I'll finally learn about my past. 

I guess this book is the sequel to Goblins in the Castle, but the book cover didn't give any indication of that fact. I wish I'd read the first book, since it must have introduced how Fauna and William became friends of the goblins. The author created a strange collection of characters to assist Fauna. There was a large female warrior, an insecure, brave guard from the castle, a small goblin with great spunk, and a ghost thankful for doing something different. I wouldn't call this a laugh-out-loud book, but it definitely included humor. The warrior goblin was afflicted with a lisp and had an attitude. Igor wanted to impress her, but she constantly rebuked his efforts. An interesting twist resulted when Fauna tried on a necklace meant as a birthday gift for William and couldn't take it off. It allowed her to speak with animals and forced her to tell the truth. It also created a conflict for her, since she didn't want to admit the mistake to anyone else. The book shared a fun adventure with humor and a little mystery. It wasn't classic literature, but it was entertaining. Give it a shot if you're looking for something easy and enjoyable to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.