Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Zach King's Magical Life Trilogy #3: Mirror Magic by Zach King

Mirror Magic (Zach King's Magical Life Trilogy #3)My name is Zach, and everyone in my family can use an object to perform one kind of magic. However, my parents and sister don't know that I can perform magic with any magical object. I let them think magic skipped me, so I can attend public school with my friends. Today, I came home and told my mom I'd organize the artifacts in our attic. I fell off a stool, tumbled into a mirror, and ended up in another world. Everyone here can perform magic, except for me, and my friends are behaving really differently. I wonder how this world's Zach is doing in my world, and I've got to find some way to get home. Unfortunately, I tried to go back through the mirror again, but I made a big mistake. Now, I fear I may be stuck here forever. 

The summary above should give you a good idea of what to expect. I didn't realize this was the third book in a series when I chose it, but it didn't affect my understanding of the plot. The main character got thrown into a reverse world. The reverse Zach, named Jak, presented a creative twist to the conflict. The world switch enabled him to perform magic for the first time, and he was overjoyed with the change. He wasn't really motivated to correct the switch with Zach. The plot moved so quickly that there wasn't time to develop the characters. The book's opening pages listed the characters along with their descriptions, and that was as deep as the characterization went. I was expecting the comparable characters in the alternate worlds to be opposites, but they were just different. Zach's best friend was still his best friend, only buff and popular, and his archenemy/school diva was now nice, not Zach's close friend. Even though Zach and his friends were thirteen years old, the book could easily be enjoyed by younger readers. There weren't any subplots, and the entire focus (except for Jak) was on getting Zach home. Overall, it was a fun, quick read, and I recommend you give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.