Tuesday, February 19, 2019

The Blackthorn Key #1 by Kevin Sands

The Blackthorn Key (The Blackthorn Key, #1)My name is Christopher, and I was happy being an apothecary's apprentice for Master Blackthorn. He freed me from the orphanage and has been very kind. However, now I don't know what to do, since I've been accused of his murder. He had given me a locked cube containing a cryptic puzzle and wouldn't help me solve it. Then, he struck me across the face and ordered me out of the stop. I was stunned. When I returned, I found him hanging by ropes, blood dripping from the gashes across his body. Maybe it was the cult rumored to be killing other apothecaries, but Master Blackthorn didn't believe the cult existed. Clearly, someone was searching for something specific in the shop, and it's now my mission to solve the mystery and his murder.

Christopher is an endearing character due to his loyalty and the mutual affection with Master Blackthorn. That's why it's so surprising when the master gets angry and slaps his apprentice. The second half of the book unfolds into a mystery as Christopher tries to decipher the puzzle left by Blackthorn. It's clear the puzzle will lead to a legendary "fire" that could change the course of the country. Christopher's efforts are complicated, since there's a reward for his capture and a secret cult is searching for the "fire". The time period is also an important element due to the conflict between Catholics and Puritans. The threat of a coup to overthrow the king is a distinct possibility. In addition, Christopher has no rights due to his role as an apprentice. He had no right to speak against adults and other apothecaries, and he wasn't allowed to keep property left to him by Blackthorn. It's hard to function without having any rights and literally everyone searching for him. His best friend's father was very anti-Christopher, so that hampered his friend's support. Overall, the book was very engaging, and I recommend you give it a shot. Lovers of mystery and the culture in old England will have no trouble getting into the action.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.