Thursday, February 7, 2019

The Last Timekeepers#1: And the Arch of Atlantis by Sharon Ledwith

The Last Timekeepers and the Arch of Atlantis (The Last Timekeepers, #1)My name is Amanda, and a few "friends" and I have discovered an arch allowing us to travel through time. We've been told that we're the new Timekeepers for this arch, but the fifth arch is being controlled by a corrupt man. Robin Hood's legend is in jeopardy, so our quest is to return to his time and set things right. The big problem is that we have no idea what we're supposed to do, and the cryptic riddle I've uncovered isn't much help. Robyn isn't entirely what I expected, and his weapon is a crossbow, not the longbow I've heard about. Our task must be completed very soon, so I suspect our efforts will lead us to the archery contest at tomorrow's local festival. I think we might have a chance for success, if we don't clobber each other along the way.

The time travel and conflict weren't super original, but the dynamics of the group were most interesting to me. The kids were brought together as punishment for a school food fight, and they didn't especially like each other. The group included a jock, a young genius, and an actress, and their bickering continued throughout the book. Most of the activities were completed during medieval times, but the characters blended their modern-day knowledge, sometimes not so discretely. They carried amulets to ensure their return after the quest's completion and to translate any language differences. This struck me as odd, since Robyn and his friends spoke English, albeit Old English. I enjoyed the blend of the two cultures, and the "realistic" problems the characters encountered. The antagonists mostly worked in the background, with a time-traveling character taking the place of the Sheriff of Nottingham. Amanda's big problem was figuring out how to turn Robyn into the Robin Hood of legend, who gave the citizens hope. Overall, the book was entertaining, and I can recommend it for your reading pleasure. I plan to check out the sequel, The Last Timekeepers and the Dark Secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.