Wednesday, July 4, 2018

The Forbidden Library #4: The Fall of the Readers by Django Wexler

The Fall of the Readers (The Forbidden Library, #4)My name is Alice, and the fate of the world rests on my shoulders. I successfully imprisoned Geryon, but the other Readers are laying siege on me. I can't let them continue their cruelty toward magical creatures and the labyrinthine. Ending says she will help me if I take control of the Great Binding that holds a powerful prisoner. She says I must enter a labyrinth created by all the Readers that is protected by many formidable guardians. I don't know what will happen once I complete the quest, but I trust Ending and I will be able to make things right. However, Geryon and the Dragon have warned me the labyrinthine cannot be trusted, despite the fact Ending has always helped me and supported me in the past. I wasn't ready for the truths to be revealed, but I probably should have seen the signs. 

You need to read the whole series; it will be worth your while! Alice's quest completed the first half of this book, but Part Two was much more interesting. The "truths" mentioned above added creative complications to the whole situation and explained all of Alice's unique abilities. She was the most admirable character due to her empathy for others and her desire to make things right. She wanted to keep her friends safe, so she needed to learn how to share dangerous tasks. All of the creatures trusted Alice and rallied around her. She owned all of her decisions, since her desire for revenge against Geryon led to disastrous consequences. Ending was a cat-like creature in charge of guarding the library. Her power was clear from the beginning, but the author included details throughout the plot that questioned her motives and true self. This created an underlying conflict that continued through the whole series. I found these books by randomly choosing the first one on-line, but I can highly recommend the series to lovers of fantasy and magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.