Tuesday, June 27, 2017

The Trials of Apollo #2: The Dark Prophecy by Rick Riordan

The Dark Prophecy (The Trials of Apollo, #2)My name is Apollo, and Zeus is punishing me by making me a mortal, teenage boy. The next prophecy in my quest to return to my godly status is to free the oracle in Indianapolis. Commodus has control over it, and he has been imprisoning residents and creatures from the Waystation. The caretakers of the Waystation want me to free their daughter first, and there seems to be a possibility that I'm her father. Honestly, how am I supposed to remember? The girl has lost her mind after being taken to the Oracle, and unfortunately so has my master and friend Meg. Commodus has a nasty temper and blames me for his problems. Maybe I had something to with his death. Okay, I kind of held his head underwater until he drowned, but I saved many lives by doing that. Anyhow, I must rescue his prisoners and stop him from destroying the Waystation. Being a mortal without powers will make it difficult. Heck, I could die!

The fun part of this series is Apollo's "adjustment" to becoming mortal. I'm a little tired of his whining about his old powers and the way things used to be, but it’s part of his character. Honestly, I'm learning to accept it, and it helps to make his character more endearing. However, I'm not totally sure why the author still allows Apollo to have temporary control over his former powers at critical moments. Why would Zeus allow this? The story is told through Apollo's eyes, which makes sense, but I would like to know more about Meg's thoughts. She has a lot going on in her head after abandoning Apollo, returning to her evil/crazy "father", and learning to master her powers. This book is written similarly to other books by this author, and it looks like Percy Jackson's buddy Grover will be in the sequel. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.