Friday, September 16, 2016

Uglies by Scott Westerfield

Uglies (Uglies, #1)My name is Tally, and I couldn't wait to become Pretty like all the other sixteen-year-olds. After the operation, I'd be able to move into New Pretty Town and be with back with my friend Peris. Then I met Shay, and Special Circumstances found me. Shay left for The Smoke, a community in the woods for runaway uglies, and Special Circumstances wants me to help with finding them; I can't get my operation unless I do it. I followed Shay's directions to The Smoke, and now I just need to give up its location to Special Circumstances. However, I met David and learned there's more to becoming Pretty than just the looks. Now, I find can't betray these people, but I fear it may be too late.


I first read Uglies before creating this blog back in 2009, and I enjoyed the first three books in the series. This is a dystopian novel that addresses some obvious issues with our current culture. The whole infatuation with physical appearance is the main force behind making everyone pretty. Citizens are allowed to think they have freedom of choice, but the people in charge are doing all they can to prevent it. Ruins of large cities are scattered around outside New Pretty Town, and the characters are amazed at how wasteful we once were. Why, we cut down trees to create magazines and newspapers that would only be thrown away! Tally's character is at the center of the plot's conflict, as she is exposed to both sides of the Pretty problem. Her role as a spy for Special Circumstances actually gives her some power over them, and that becomes very important in the sequel Pretties. I generally like novels written by Scott Westerfield, and this one did not disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.