Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Legends of Orkney #1: The Red Sun by Alane Adams

The Red Sun (Legends of Orkney #1)My name is Sam, and apparently I'm a son of the Norse god Odin. I was brought through a portal to Orkney in the Ninth Realm after a witch named Endera tried to kill me. Some people in this realm see me as a savior, while others fear I'll follow my mother's witch bloodline and ruin everything. My own powers are poisoning the sun here, killing plants and animals. The High Council wants me to find Odin to save the sun, but Endera will free my friends only if I steal the Horn of Gjall from him. She wants the horn to free witches imprisoned in stone along with their ancient magic. I must use dark magic to save this world, but the power of the anger and evil within me are strong. I don't understand my strength, and I only hope it doesn't destroy everyone and everything in this realm, and beyond.


I actually read the second book in the series before this one, but I suggest you read The Red Sun first. This book introduces another character with unknown powers who controls the fate of the world. Think Percy Jackson in Norse mythology. Sam's internal conflict against his own anger is a major battle that affects pretty much everything he does. His friends are supportive, but they have little understanding of what he's going through. The plot is spiced with scenes of action, as Sam faces the mythological creatures, the witches, and the illusions in his mind. You'll find yourself reading sections of the book, only to realize later the events never actually happened. The uncertainty surrounding Sam's magic and his decisions will keep you guessing, which is a good thing. Lovers of witch novels and magic will enjoy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.