Sunday, September 4, 2016

Bridget Wilder #2: Spy to the Rescue by Jonathan Bernstein

Bridget Wilder: Spy to the RescueMy name is Bridget, and only a couple of people know I'm a part-time spy. My real father is a retired CIA agent, but I've just discovered he's been kidnapped. I manage to track him to New York, and I've "convinced" my adopted parents to let me fly across the country. They think I'm going to visit my friend Joanna, and they insist that my brother and his girlfriend go along as chaperones. Once I arrive, things don't go quite as I had planned. I find my father, but he's been taken by a powerful man in charge of thieves, assassins, and all kinds of evil criminals. His daughter turns out to be an even worse pain in the butt, and she plans to murder the son of a foreign diplomat, which will probably start a new war between countries. On the positive note, I finally meet my real mom, although she's actually another assassin. I don't know if I'm ready for all the drama!


I didn't read the first book in the series, but it didn't seem necessary to enjoy this one. The most unbelievable parts of this book are the marbles in Bridget's pocket and other technology. The marbles are tiny nanobots that come to her rescue throughout the plot; the red one becomes a loyal companion. The red marble knows anything Bridget needs done, and the story seems to lose characters when other marbles are destroyed. The plot describes a fun adventure with a brave, determined female protagonist. Bridget's spy work is complicated by normal teen issues. Boys like her, her friend has changed, and her real parents might get back together again. Bridget even has cheerleaders bullying her, and she develops a rivalry with the daughter assassin. The daughter has family issues too! Overall, it's an entertaining book for readers wanting a female spy story with a bit of humor mixed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.