Monday, November 18, 2019

The Chronicles of Prydain #4: Taran Wanderer by Lloyd Alexander

Taran Wanderer (The Chronicles of Prydain, #4)My name is Taran, and I can't start a life with Eilonwy unless I know who I truly am. Who were my parents, and what happened to them? Who is Taran Assistant Pig-Keeper? I've set out to answer this question, although I don't really know where I'm going. Loyal Gurgi has eagerly volunteered to accompany me, but he's fearful of my plan to revisit the three witches. I'm sure they'll have some ideas for me if they don't choose to turn us into toads first. I'm now headed for the Mirror of Llunet in the Llawgadarn Mountains, and I'm meeting many kind, interesting people along the way. However, I've also come upon a man with a devastating story to share, living on a decrepit-looking farm. His tale causes me great concern, and I must again ponder the question of my past. 

This book was much different from others in the series. The plot revolved around Taran's quest to find himself, so there wasn't a clear antagonist or conflict. I wasn't sure if there would be a climax where he'd discover royal parents, or if some other event would resolve his mental anguish. How would Taran find his answers? In the end, a series of philosophical experiences led to a resolution that felt anti-climatic. The plot meandered across Prydain, as Taran came across other characters who presented both opportunities to learn and life-threatening perils. The encounters with danger provided action for the adventure. Once again, Taran was the most engaging character, as he displayed compassion, honesty, bravery, and valor. A couple of those traits were challenged along the way, but his goodness persevered through it all. Overall, I liked the book, but it's my least favorite of the first four books in the series. I still plan to read the next book, The High King, as it was the winner of the Newbery Medal in 1969. It should get back to the clearer confrontations and action found previously in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.