Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Pages & Co. #1: Tilly and the Bookwanderers by Anna James

Tilly and the Bookwanderers (Pages & Co. #1)My name is Tilly, and I live with my grandparents in their bookstore, Pages & Co. I love reading books but wonder why I can't find any adventure in real life. For school, I'm supposed to read a book I've never read before, so I think I'll do Treasure Island. I've been noticing some unusual people around the store, but I must be mistaken. How can I possibly be talking to Anne of Green Gables, Sherlock Holmes, and Alice from Alice in Wonderland? Granddad says I'm a bookwanderer like my mom, and he helped me get registered at the British Underlibrary. There are important rules for bookwandering, and the one thing I've learned is there are terrible consequences if you don't follow them. 

You know how some readers can really get into their books? That was the premise of the plot, as bookwanderers could enter books and interact with characters when they had strong connections to them. I'm not sure I totally understood the rules for bookwandering, but it didn't bug me too much. As mentioned above, the rules were important, and Tilly's character was pretty reckless. She chose to ignore warnings without good reason and found herself in precarious situations. I usually find characters have strong motivations when they neglect important advice, but curiosity isn't a good excuse. However, the author included some surprises in the story, most notably with Tilly's parents and the plot's antagonist. When reading books, if characters die but bodies aren't found, don't be surprised if they reappear later. The antagonist in this book was a stickler for rules, and he was clearly hiding something. No one liked him, but it was unclear why he still had such an important job at the underlibrary. It took over half the book to finally discover why he was the antagonist. Overall, I enjoyed the book, and I'm considering whether I'll read the sequel. With the way the first book ended, I assume the conflict in the next one will be clearer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.