Friday, October 11, 2019

The Trials of Apollo #4: The Tyrant's Tomb by Rick Riordan

The Tyrant's Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)My name is Apollo, although you probably don't recognize me in this flabby, pimply, adolescent body called Lester. Meg and I have returned Jason's body to Camp Jupiter, but I know the armies of the Triumvirate will attack the camp within days. The prophecies I've read are confusing, and it sounds like we need godly help. However, Zeus has forbidden the gods from assisting me for fear of suffering his wrath. The prophecy also says something about a god needing to die, and I hope it doesn't mean me. I'm feeling the effects of a poisonous scratch that will cause me to become a zombie after my death. I don't want my friends trying to chop off my head after I'm dead. Camp Jupiter doesn't stand a chance against the Triumvirate's secret weapon, so I must do all I can to fulfill the prophecy. 

This was the 2019 Goodreads Best Book in middle grade fiction. You should read the series by starting with the first book, The Hidden Oracle. The humorous twist to the series is how Apollo has lost all of his powers as punishment from Zeus, a contrast from other books where the main characters are often bestowed with new magical abilities. An additional twist is how Apollo bonded with Meg, but as a consequence, he's forced to obey all of her orders. It was a slow time coming, but Apollo's character is finally changing. He's always been pompous and "godly", but he now shows signs of compassion and humility. He regrets many of his past decisions and has promised to remember human feelings when he regains his powers. He's now able to place the needs of others before his own. These qualities may allow him to return to Mt. Olympus. I assume this book's sequel will end the series, as Meg and Lester will be returning to New York. Apollo seems to be getting some of his godly powers back, and there's one last foe they must face. The showdown with Nero should be the climax of the series, since he's been an antagonist from the start. Meg has some unresolved issues with him, and I'm anxious to see home things turn out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.