Saturday, October 19, 2019

Ranger's Apprentice, The Royal Ranger #3: Duel at Araluen by John Flanagan

Duel at Araluen (Ranger's Apprentice: The Royal Ranger #3)My name is Horace, and bad information has resulted in my small force of soldiers being trapped in an old fort. An army of mercenaries four times our size has us surrounded, and I can't see any easy way to escape. Luckily, I have Gilan, the Ranger commander, with me, but he's at a loss for ideas too. I suspect we're being detained here while another force lays siege to Castle Araluen, but that would never work without assistance from someone within the castle. Still, I wonder. We've managed to repel the enemy's efforts to penetrate our fortification, but we won't be able to hold out much longer with our supplies running low. Gilan and I were surprised this morning when we found a message attached to a Ranger arrow. My daughter Maddie is hiding somewhere outside our fortress walls.

This book continued the style of other books by Flanagan. The action-adventures taking place in medieval-type settings has always appealed to me. Maddie is the star of the show and puts her Ranger skills into practice. She's an intriguing character, since she's a blend of princess and Ranger. There's never been a female Ranger, and other characters are often skeptical of her abilities, even her father. Maddie must remain incognito, so she's not taken hostage by the rebels. With all that, the survival of her parents and the kingdom is depending on her talents as a fourth-year apprentice. The plot clearly builds to an exciting climax between the Red Fox Clan and the royal troops, although the author stacks the odds against the king's supporters. However, if you've read other books by Flanagan then you'll know you can never underestimate the Rangers, Sir Horace, and the Brotherband. Overall, the book does not disappoint, and I strongly recommend you give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.