Sunday, July 30, 2017

The Zodiac Legacy #2: The Dragon's Return by Stan Lee, Stuart Moore, Andie Tong

The Zodiac Legacy: The Dragon's Return (Zodiac Legacy, #2)My name is Steven, and my Zodiac team is falling apart. Kim is gone, Roxanne wants to leave, and Carlos has been missing for three months. Jasmine has been taking Carlos's disappearance hard, and I'm not sure if she's able to control the dragon power she absorbed from Maxwell. Sometimes, she scares me. The detection of Zodiac energy led me to Germany, and I woke up, strapped to a table, in Maxwell's Australian fortress. Maxwell transferred my energy to one of his soldiers, and I now find myself imprisoned along with two of his former Zodiacs. I'll need their help to escape, but can I trust them? The answer is no, but I don't have any other choice.

You should read the first book in the series in order to understand the character's relationships. The big twist in The Dragon's Return is Steven's loss of his Zodiac powers. It's less common in adventure novels to find the protagonist losing his abilities, while his enemy grows stronger. In addition, the fragility of the team is a huge deal, as I mentioned above. Several members are questioning their commitments to the cause, and a possible new member might be a spy. It all adds up to some fun conflicts and suspense. The story of Carlos takes an unexpected turn that will affect future events, and Maxwell adds a new crazy scientist. The fact that she's very young and has no concern for right and wrong results in a wild-card character. Who knows what she might do, no matter how terrible? I still don't fully understand the science of the Zodiac powers, and I'm still not sure how to visualize the avatars. None the less, the series is action-packed and full of adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.