Thursday, July 27, 2017

The Zodiac Legacy #1: Convergence by Stan Lee, Stuart Moore, and Andie Tong

The Zodiac Legacy: Convergence (Zodiac Legacy, #1)My name is Jasmine, and young Steven has accidentally been given the power of the Zodiac Tiger. Maxwell and I share the power of the dragon, but he is cruel, crazy, and a danger to the world. He believes he should hold all of the Zodiac power within himself and has already absorbed the energy of seven Zodiac animals. I need Steven's help to protect and recruit the four individuals around the world who now hold the power of the Rooster, Pig, Rabbit, and Ram. They don't understand what has happened, and I hope I can train them and Steven can become their leader. Maxwell's Zodiacs are more powerful and are trained as soldiers, and I'm having trouble fighting off his attempts to steal my power. Steven doesn't know how important he is to our success.

The story is enhanced by comic book drawings, and it reads like a comic too. I mean that in a good way. The plot is fast-paced and full of action. The characters have unique abilities, as Roxanne's voice is a weapon, Liam is indestructible, Kim can transport, and Duane has a connection with computers. Steven is the insecure leader, and the authors leave some surprises about his abilities until later in the book. The momentum of the plot sways back and forth, as the two sides take turns gaining advantages. The success of Steven's team seems to rely on temporary fixes, and the overall success of Maxwell's Vanguard seems inevitable. What did I like best about the book? I enjoyed the non-stop adventure, as the Zodiac crew battled around the world. The conflict seemed insurmountable, so the tension remained high. What did I like least? I had a hard time visualizing the appearance of the Zodiac animals. I imagined them as ghostly apparitions rising from the characters, but that strategy didn't seem to work during some of the scenes. Overall, I can recommend the book and have already started reading the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.