Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Peter Nimble #1: Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes by Jonathan Auxier

Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes (Peter Nimble, #1)My name is Peter, and I'm supposed to save the Vanished Kingdom, whatever that might be.  The only clues I've found about its existence come from a short, cryptic rhyming poem. This quest is pretty momentous for a young thief who happens to be blind; my eyes were pecked out by ravens when I was a baby. I have a box containing three pairs of eyeballs, and the golden ones have transported me to a strange world. I've met a brave knight, Sir Tode, to be my eyes, but a witch changed him into a horse/cat. He's become the first friend I ever had. Our journey has taken us across a desert full of banished criminals, and we fought for our lives against an army of ravens. We've now met a princess who has been hiding from her evil uncle for the past ten years. It seems like our destinies are linked, but the full truth of our futures remains to be discovered.


I enjoyed this book more than I expected. The eyeballs had different "powers", and the black ones were used the most. They allowed Peter to become whatever creature he last touched, whether it be a raven, beetle, or sea monster. Predictably, Peter's character had an important connection to the Vanished Kingdom. The most intriguing part of the plot was how his character's blindness seemed to have advantages over everyone else. He could sense elements of the setting that others missed using his senses of touch, smell, and hearing. Rather than pity him, other characters tended to see him as a leader. Sir Tode was an entertaining character, as he was more exaggeration than actual hero. However, he was extremely loyal to Peter, and they worked well as a team. The story sends a message that people may be more than they seem, and faith and loyalty will be rewarded. It's a fun book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.