Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Atlantis Saga #2: Atlantis In Peril by T.A. Barron

My name is Promi, and I don't know what to do about Atlanta. I love her, but we can never be together since I'm an Immortal. My father has warned me that my visits to see her are weakening the veil between our worlds, and its collapse will allow evil spirits to invade earth. I don't trust him since he stole all of my childhood memories, and I just want to do whatever I want. However, I now know I've been stupid and selfish. Atlanta will never want to speak to me again, and my father has shown me the fragility of the veil. As unlikely as it once seemed, it's clear Narkazan has returned, and he's kidnapped my sister Jaladay. To complicate matters, the men I rescued from a doomed ship off the coast of Atlantis are now putting the whole island at risk of destruction. I don't have a plan, as usual, but I've got to atone for my mistakes and make things right.

You should read Atlantis Rising before reading this sequel. Promi was the most interesting character, as he learned to adapt to his new immortality. However, his anger and stubbornness overrode any semblance of common sense. The plot dealt with his transformation into a more responsible character, as the problems grew into a formidable obstacle. The theme of the book boiled down to nature vs. industrialization, as the antagonists saw the Great Forest as resources waiting to be torn down and developed. The forest creatures had nature magic, but it seemed unlikely it could overcome modern machinery. A couple of things didn't work for me. I don't usually like books with multiple settings, and much of this book followed four different storylines. I'd rather see the author do a thorough development of one or two plots rather than divide the attention between four of them. My biggest issue was with the book's resolution, as the conflicts weren't resolved. The problems were getting out of control, and the book left them to be handled in the next one. Take care of the problems in this book, or the story feels unfinished. Overall, I like the series, but this book left me wanting more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.