Monday, September 13, 2021

Atlantis Saga #1: Atlantis Rising by T.A. Barron

My name is Promi, and all I used to worry about was trying to find my next meal. I guess it was a bad idea to embarrass Deputy High Priest Grukarr in public, but I thought he needed to experience a little fear in his life. I should have foreseen that he'd take it personally, as he now has the Royal Guard hunting me down. This makes it more dangerous to steal from the bakeries, but hey, I love sweets! I'm fine living on the streets by myself, and I don't worry about anyone else. I can't explain why I saved the little girl from being run over or why I gave the old lady my lemon pie. However, helping other people has only complicated my life, and I don't like it. After being thrown in prison, a dying woman made me a Listener, and now I'm supposed to save the Great Forest. I'm no hero. I just want to escape this dungeon and get back on the streets.

Promi's character is the highlight of the whole story. He says he doesn't care about others, but his actions differ from his words. There's clearly more to his character than being a kid on the streets. He has a bird-shaped mark over his heart, he wears magic shoes, and his only memories of childhood come from a song that evokes peaceful feelings. His identity is predictable if you think about the clues. The conflict of the plot centers on saving the Great Forest, the heart of natural magic in Ellegandia, and it involves a war being waged between immortals. Using Promi's newly-acquired Listener magic comes with a catch; it requires him to make sacrifices. The greater the magic, the greater the sacrifice. This twist makes spell-casting very interesting. A furry, blue creature named Kermi has sworn to stay with Promi, and he contributes humor to the plot. He's constantly making fun of Promi, calling him names and questioning his intelligence. The friendly banter creates a bond between the two characters. Overall, I enjoyed reading about Promi's transformation from a street thief living alone into a brave, likeable hero, and I recommend you give it a shot. A couple of significant changes arose at the end, so I'm anxious to read the sequel, Atlantis In Peril.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.