Thursday, December 3, 2020

The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo

My name is Peter, and meeting with the fortuneteller changed my life. I knew my parents had died, but she told me an elephant could lead me to my little sister. Vilna Lutz said my sister died at childbirth, so how could this be true? There were no elephants anywhere near Baltese, but then I heard rumors about one magically falling through the ceiling of the opera house. Vilna Lutz cared for me since my parents died, but could he have been lying about my baby sister? I've got to find some way to see the elephant, because I feel deep down that it's the only way I'll discover the truth. However, the fortuneteller said the truth is forever changing. What if?

I wasn't expecting anything special when I opened this book, since it wasn't the kind I normally read. However, I was in for a pleasant surprise. The narration sounded like the sharing of a fairy tale and felt almost poetic. While Peter was the main character, the story touched on the lives of several seemingly unrelated characters. There was a policeman downstairs, the imprisoned magician, a countess, and a beggar on the streets, and it was clear from the beginning that something magically cosmic was happening. Their lives were slowly being led toward a memorable climax. There was not an antagonist in the plot, as Peter strove to reunite with a sister he hadn't seen in six years. There was a wonderful feeling of caring about others that remained constant throughout the story. The book is a pretty quick-read and moves along smoothly. Overall, I recommend you give this book a shot, especially if you're in the mood for a feel-good story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.