Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Alex Rider #2: Point Blank by Anthony Horowitz

My name is Alex Rider, and I missed the adventure and excitement of going on a mission for MI6. However, I didn't miss people trying to kill me. Blunt sent me to a private school for troubled kids in the Alps to see if it had any connection to a couple of assassinations from around the world. I pretended to be the son of a billionaire, like all of the other boys, but most of them were behaving very strangely. They moved and sounded like robots, even when they were just playing ping pong. I thought it was impossible for the director to miraculously change bad behavior in a few weeks, so I wondered how he did it. I did some snooping around and was shocked by what I found. The truth could affect the entire world. 

I've read random volumes from the Alex Rider series, so I decided I'd try to cover the ones I missed in a more orderly fashion. Season one of the NetFlix television series is based on this book, although the show was surprisingly more detailed. The plot is believingly unbelievable, as Alex investigates a doctor determined to redo the world. One of the doctor's heroes is Hitler, so that should give you a clue to his craziness. Alex doesn't do anything super-spylike, but he's given a couple of gadgets to use. The story moves along pretty quickly which is good and bad. You're never waiting for the next thing to happen, but it feels like some details are missing. There's no depth to the characters, especially the other boys at the school. It would have been nice if another character had meaningful interactions with Alex, so he didn't feel so alone. Even his support team from MI6 wasn't very supportive. Overall, the series is very popular among middle grade students and should appeal to lovers of spy stories and adventure. Give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.