Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Restart by Gordan Korman

My name is Shoshonna, and I can't believe Chase is actually back at school. The rumor is that he has amnesia and can't remember anything about his life before falling off his roof. That's convenient. He was a horrendous bully and tormented my twin brother right out of town and into a private school that he hates. The world would be better off if he'd never recovered from the fall. I must admit he seems to be different, but it's got to be an act. No one that despicable can become nice just by falling on their head. I haven't told my brother everything about Chase, especially that Chase has replaced him in the video club. I can't believe how the others think Chase is so great now, since they were all once victims of his torturing. He makes a great suggestion to help with my contest video, but how can I listen to him? I'd be a traitor to my brother.

Korman always adds humorous twists to common situations, so this book was a little different for him. I also think it was one of his best. Chase forgot about all of the awful things he'd done as the worst bully in school, but all of the other students, teachers, and adults remembered him quite well. Most people reflect on their past decisions, and this book presents an opportunity for a character to make up for terrible mistakes. However, these efforts were difficult even with good intentions. Korman did a great job of describing Chase's battles with his inner demons; the realization that he'd treated others so badly was eating him up inside. His former bully buddies didn't understand him, and his new friends didn't understand him. No one else could fully comprehend his issues, and his father unknowingly made things worse. Readers will easily feel empathy for Chase despite being burdened with his past behaviors. That was a different Chase. Overall, I really loved this book and highly recommend it for your reading pleasure. It will appeal to almost all middle grade students.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.