Sunday, December 29, 2019

The Hotel Between #2: The Key of Lost Things by Sean Easley

The Key of Lost Things (The Hotel Between #2)My name is Cass, and I wish my brother Cam would stop worrying about me. He's now Concierge-in-Training for The Hotel Between, but he still thinks he needs to control me. Sure, my spina bifida forces me to move about in a wheelchair, but my new one has all kinds of cool modifications. Plus, I have new abilities my brother doesn't even know about, and I need to do my part to prevent Stripe from taking over the hotel. Maybe I shouldn't sneak anyone like I do, and I'm a little sorry if it distracts Cam from his preparations for the Embassy gala. I'm not sure he was ready to become the event coordinator for Admiral Dare's 400th binding, but it would be easier if he'd learn to let others do their jobs. Strange things are happening around the hotel, and Cam needs to get it together. 

You should read The Hotel Between before reading this one. A large issue in this book is Cam's attitude toward others. To him, asking for help is the same as admitting he's incapable of doing a job. However, part of being a leader is allowing others to do their jobs and working as a team. It takes Cam a long time to figure this out. In addition, Cam has problems with his father and twin sister. His father reappeared in the last book, but Cam hasn't accepted him with open arms. Cam was left to protect his sister, and he resents his father returning to offer advice. Cam compounds the problem by continuing to "protect" his sister even though she doesn't need it. The lack of trust creates a wall between them. The plot offers a few mysteries, as there's no clear explanation for the strange occurrences around the hotel. Cam assumes it's Nico, but it doesn't make sense. Cam also discovers a hidden area but doesn't fully understand it either. Overall, the series is entertaining, and I think you should give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.