Thursday, December 5, 2019

Legends of the Sky: Dragon Daughter by Liz Flanagan

Legends of the SkyMy name is Milla, and while hiding in a tree, I witnessed a murder. I didn't tell anyone about the victim's secret pouch, especially when I discovered it contained four dragon eggs! However, Nestan found out where I'd stashed them and gave the eggs to Duke Olvar. The duke may be ruler of the island of Arcosi, but I don't trust him. He's a Norlander and clearly despises people of Sartolian decent, like his wife and me. His laws are unfair, and I can see tempers rising around the town and in the market. He blames all of Arcosi's problems on Sartolians, but he doesn't understand how his own decisions make everything worse. Surprisingly, he allowed me to raise my blue dragon inside his castle walls after Iggie and I bonded during his hatching. Maybe war can be avoided if the dragons can help unite all Norlanders and Sartolians. 

This book was unexpectedly good, as the conflict had depth and the plot included unexpected twists. The main conflict centered on the duke's discrimination and persecution of Sartolians, and it drew comparisons in my mind to the way President Trump has treated immigrants. The similarity wasn't identical, but similar enough to bring it into my thoughts. The duke promoted fear against the Sartolian immigrants, as he described them as violent trouble-makers. He thought their presence created problems, so he wanted to send them back to their own country. The fact that many Sartolians had actually lived in Arcosi before being driven out by the arrival of Norlanders was ignored. Surprisingly, it seemed the duke ignored his prejudices when he displayed love and concern for his Sartolian wife. The dragons were introduced to the plot fairly early, but instead of keeping them a secret from the duke, the author chose to have the story's antagonist house the dragons and the story's protagonists. The dynamics of Milla's friendships changed and provided additional surprises. Overall, I loved this book and can give it a high recommendation. Give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.